Amgen Inc., and/or its affiliates and co-branded partners (collectively "Amgen, "we" or "our") are committed to respecting your privacy. Because facts about a person's demographic, health, health interests, and health care are private and sensitive, we know that you may have concerns about sharing information with us. This Privacy Statement is designed to answer your important questions about privacy, whether you are a consumer looking for health information, or a health care provider accessing Amgen’s experience in order to refine your expertise in meeting the needs of your patients.
If you are a consumer, you’ll want to know how we use the information you provide if you register with us as a site user or when you participate in activities on our site, and how we protect this information from unauthorized use or disclosure. If you are a health care professional or institutional provider, you'll want to know how we use information you provide about yourself, your patients and your professional services.
This Privacy Statement was last updated as of September 26, 2012.
Information We Collect
How We Use Your Information
Our Relationship to Third Parties
Our Children's Policy
Your Privacy Choices
Our Security Measures
Consent to Processing in the United States and Elsewhere
Changes in Our Privacy Statement
- Information We Collect
We may have access to the following categories of information about you and your visit to our website. Only some of these categories of information identify you directly, but each category offers some information about your interests and activities that could be used to make inferences about you. The next section, How We Use Your Information, describes how Amgen uses the various categories of information we collect.
- Information That You Voluntarily Provide
When you use certain of our site’s features you may be asked to submit, or you may voluntarily disclose, your personal and/or health-related information.
If you are a health care professional or an institutional health care provider, it is your responsibility to obtain your patient’s authorization and consent to provide his or her health-related personal information to Amgen through our websites. By submitting any such information, you represent and warrant that you have obtained your patient’s authorization to do so.
Information Provided Through Your Correspondence with Amgen. You may use our site to ask questions or report problems regarding our products to healthcare professionals hired by Amgen to address consumers' and health care professionals' questions regarding product use. If you communicate with or request information from Amgen personnel, they will have your e-mail address as well as any health-related and/or personal facts you choose to include in your e-mail.
If you are reporting a product experience, we may ask you for specific facts, including patient initials, age, and gender, and prescribing physician.
Information That Is Routinely Collected By Our Site Technology:
IP Address. We record the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer when you visit our site, so that we can communicate with you as you move about our site.
Cookies. We also collect information about your use of our site through cookies and similar technologies. A "cookie" is a unique numeric code that we transfer to your computer so that we can keep track of your interests and preferences and recognize you as a return visitor to our site. Cookie technology allows us to collect "clickstream" data, which is non-personally identifying information, but which reflects your activities on the site, such as your interest in certain health care conditions. Amgen’s cookies do not collect or keep your name or other personal identifying information. When you revisit our site, the cookie allows us to deliver content and features likely to be of greatest interest to you based on your previous activities on our site. We do not allow other sites or third parties to use our cookies for their own purposes or to place their own cookies on your computer when you access services through our site.
You must consent to the placement of cookies on your computer and may do so using your browser settings.
- How We Use Your Information
We use the information about your use of our website’s services and activities to monitor user traffic patterns and to analyze what our users prefer so that we can design better services for you. We may use the personally identifying information and health-related personal information that you provide to communicate with you and create customized content, information, and services tailored to your interests and preferences.
Personally Identifying Information. On most of our websites, you do not have to register to use most of the information and services. Some of our websites require registration to access all, or a portion of, the information and services. If you choose to register, we may use the personally identifying information you give us to send you an e-mail confirming your registration and to respond to questions. Upon your request, we may also, from time to time, send you e-mail with information that we think may be of interest to you.
Product Reports. If you contact Amgen regarding your experience in using one of our products, we may use the information you provide in submitting reports to regulatory agencies as required by law (e.g., the U.S. Federal Food and Drug Administration). We also may use the information to contact the prescribing physician to follow up regarding an unexpected event involving use of our product.
IP Address. In addition to using the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer to maintain communications with you as you move about our site, we also may use your IP address to personalize website content. We also may retain our record of your IP address together with any personally identifying information that you provide to us.
Law Enforcement. In certain limited circumstances, Amgen may be called upon to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the sensitive nature of the personally identifiable information or health-related personal information that the requester may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to other websites.
- Our Relationship to Third Parties
We may use third parties to provide services and information on our site and we may provide some co-branded services in partnership with others. We also may use third parties to analyze data collected on our site.. We will not disclose your or your patient’s personally identifying information or health-related personal information to anyone other than Amgen employees and those third parties with whom we have a business relationship. If we allow a third party contractor to have access to your or your patient's personally identifying information or health-related personal information, we will not authorize the third party contractor to take it or use it for any purpose that is not consistent with this Privacy Statement.
Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties
We will not sell or disclose any personally identifying information or health-related personal information that you provide on our site to an unrelated third party without your express permission, except as explained below:
- Vendors and Suppliers. We have relationships with different vendors and suppliers who help us design and maintain our computer systems and security, respond to e-mail and customer inquiries, analyze our data and create special promotions. We will not authorize our vendors and suppliers to use our customer information for any purpose not related to Amgen's joint business operation.
- Co-branded Sites. We may partner with other companies to provide you with content or services on a joint or "co-branded" basis. At a co-branded site you will see both the Amgen logo and the logo of the co-branded partner displayed on your screen. To access the services available on a co-branded site you may have to complete a new on-line registration form, and this registration information may be shared with Amgen's co-branded partners. You should read the individual privacy policies of our co-branded partners, as these may differ in some respects from ours. Reading these policies will help you to make an informed decision about whether to provide your information to a given site. Remember, you may always opt-out of sharing your information with a partner site by choosing not to use the service or content provided by the co-branded site.
- Third-Party Advertising Companies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on other websites. These companies may use non-personally identifying information about your visits to this and other websites to measure advertising effectiveness and to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
- Legal or Regulatory Requirements. In certain limited circumstances, Amgen may be called upon to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the sensitive nature of the health-related personal information that they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to you, other users of our website, or anyone else.
- Subsequent Owner or Operator. If all or part of our company is sold or merged into another entity, the information we have about you may be transferred to a third party as part of that transaction. We will take steps to ensure that no personally identifying information or health-related personal information that is transferred will be used or shared in a manner inconsistent with this Privacy Statement without your consent. However, in the event of a sale or merger, your continued use of this site or any services signifies your agreement to be bound by the privacy statement and other applicable terms of the subsequent owner.
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties
- Our Children's Policy
Amgen's website content and services are intended for adult users over the age of 13. The site is not designed to attract child users. If we learn that an under-13 user has volunteered personal or health-related information on our site, or that a provider has volunteered information about a patient who is identified as younger than 13, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance with our deletion policy, which is described in the section on Your Privacy Choices.
- Your Privacy Choices
When you access any interactive tool or service on an Amgen website, you will be asked to affirmatively choose ("opt-in") to provide the requested information. You may always choose not to provide the requested information.
- Accept Cookies. Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies. However, if you reject our cookies, certain of our site’s functions may not work properly. To find out more about cookies, and how you can decline to accept them, please refer to your internet browser’s instructions or help option.
- Correct/Update Personal Information. You may correct or update the personal and/or health-related personal information you previously provided to Amgen at any time, by contacting Amgen at +1 805 313 5151 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Removal of Personal Information. You may request that Amgen delete/erase previously provided personal and/or health-related personal information by contacting Amgen at +1 805 313 5151 or email@example.com. Legal requirements in some countries may prevent us from deleting certain personal information (for example, U.S. Federal Drug Administration retention requirements for certain clinical trial data). Amgen may not comply with a consumer's request to amend or delete information that was provided to Amgen by a health care professional or a consumer regarding an adverse drug event.
Deletion Policy. The information that you provide Amgen is stored in servers that are operated and maintained by Amgen and third parties under contract with Amgen. It is not technologically possible to remove from our servers each and every record of your information. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of information about you or your health-related interests may exist in a non-erasable form that will be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, when permitted by law, Amgen will delete your personal and/or health-related personal information stored in the databases Amgen actively uses for research and daily business activities, or stored in other readily searchable media. In addition, we will use commercially reasonable efforts not to disclose any personal information stored in a non-erasable format after receiving your request for removal, except as required by law.
- Communicate with Amgen by E-mail. At our website, consumers and providers may communicate with our staff to learn more about our products and services. We also offer interactive tools that enable consumers and health care professionals to submit customized e-mail requests for information about diseases and therapies. Please be aware of the limits on the confidentiality of these e-mail communications. We will not disclose personally identifying information that we receive in e-mail, but all e-mail transmissions are vulnerable to unauthorized interception. In addition, we remind you that e-mail sent or received through an employer's computer or computer system is not confidential and may be the legal property of the employer.
- Our Security Measures
We want your and your patient's personal information to remain as secure as reasonably possible. Our success at improving our products and services depends upon your willingness to share information about your or your patient's personal health and health care with Amgen.
- Data Security. To help ensure the integrity and privacy of the personal and health-related information you provide to us, we may use encryption practices. As an added security precaution, all personal and/or health-related personal information is kept physically behind firewalls to prevent intruders from gaining access. Although we will make reasonable efforts to protect personal and/or health-related personal information from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party could intercept an Internet transmission, or that thieves will find a way to thwart our security systems.
- Consent To Processing In The United States And Elsewhere
Please also note that any personally identifying information or health-related personal information that Amgen may collect on this website may be processed in your country of residence or in another country—including the United States of America or other countries outside of the European Union—in which Amgen, one of its affiliates, or one of the third-parties with whom Amgen has a relationship, is located. Some countries may have different data protection standards than the country in which you live. Amgen will take reasonable measures, in line with industry standards, to ensure that your personal and health information will be treated in accordance with this Privacy Statement, regardless of the country in which it is stored or processed.
Amgen adheres to the privacy principles of the U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor Program for personal data of our customers, employees, and suppliers or vendors. To read our Safe Harbor Privacy Statement, click here.
- Changes in Our Privacy Statement
We will only use personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Statement in effect when the information was collected from you. However, we reserve the right to change the terms of this Privacy Statement at any time by posting revisions to our site. If at any point, we decide to use personally identifying information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, we will notify users by e-mail to the extent that we have your e-mail address. You will be given the choice at that time to "opt-in" for any additional uses or disclosures of your personally identifying information that you made available to us prior to the change in our Privacy Statement.
- Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, please contact Amgen at +1 805 313 5151 or firstname.lastname@example.org.